Saturday, September 13, 2008

Summary of strobe project

I'll be moving from LA to Paris (via a 2 week holiday in Ireland), and I likely won't be doing anything more on my strobe measurements until all my electronics gear arrives in Paris, assuming it doesn't sink into the Atlantic. Here's a summary of where the project is:
  1. Understand the Nikon CLS protocol - not started yet.. I need to get a digital oscilloscope to work on this. I have my eye on a USB scope from the UK company Picoscope.
  2. Understand the response of the Nikon strobes to TTL control signals - some measurements made. Seems like it should be possible to calibrate a controller to generate fixed power settings (1/2, 1/4 etc..) to emulate a Nikon CLS wireless flash in manual mode. This calibration would need to be changable so that it could work with any Nikon strobe.
  3. Design and build a controller that can be connected to a Nikon strobe to make it compatible with the Nikon optical "wireless" protocol - not started.
  4. Design and build a radio frequency controller to do CLS over radio - a long way off!
Obviously there is still a lot to do. Hopefully I will get back to it in the new year.. or sooner if I can get a DSO before then, as point 1 may not really need all of my electronics gear.

Before I leave I hope to post something about interfacing a Nikon D300 with a serial GPS module.

No comments: